Tuesday, March 8, 2011

"You wash your hair with WHAT???"

Once I started reading the labels on food, I began reading the labels on EVERYTHING. That includes anything from crackers, fruit snacks, lotions to the topic of today: shampoo and conditioner. At first, I thought if I bought any "natural" shampoo and conditioner, my hair would be more luxurious, the itchy scalp would disappear, and all would be dreamy in the hair world. NOT SO. Lots of those so-called natural hair products still slip sulfates into their formulas. If you don't know about sulfates, they cause hair loss over time. Not good. Plus, these suckers are $10 - $15 dollars a bottle - a VERY small bottle. What a racket. So, what's a girl to do? I knew I was not going to go back to the regular stuff, so it was time to think out of the box.

Research time!!!

After much searching, I have found a formula that made sense and has saved lots of cents!!! I chunked my expensive, pseudo-natural shampoo and conditioner for a solution of water, baking soda and borax along with a solution of raw apple cider vinegar and water as a rinse, and my scalp feels the best it has in quite some time, and my hair loss is greatly diminished. I simply comb in some organic plant and nut oils with lavender (hair oil from Tropical Traditions), and my hair is just as shiny and manageable – and healthier! - from simple ingredients God created. PTL! And the cost? I can get a 13.5 pound bag of baking soda for about $6 at Costco. A sizable box of borax(a natural mineral) can be found on the laundry aisle for close to $3. Bragg's raw apple cider vinegar is a bit over $5 dollars for 16 ounces. Water? Free. :) I simply put the mixtures (1:5 solutions, 5 being water) in squeezable condiment bottles, and we are good to go! The clear bottle is the baking soda, and the red bottle - complete with the word "KETCHUP" in bold letters and a 1950's era waitress holding a cheeseburger - holds the vinegar solution. LOL, I promise I am not enjoying ketchup and cheeseburger (I only hallucinate about them) in my shower!!! It may not be conventional, but it works!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

How long have you been using this method?? You've really seen improvement in your hair? I'm also a label-reader and get way too researchy (probably not a word) about stuff... I've become very concious about ingredients since acquiring parrots that are sensitive to so much. Anyway, would love to hear an update on your "shampoo".