Saturday, March 5, 2011

Going Glory Days (or Not So Glorious)

Looking Back at History

As some of you may know, my intestines really don't like me. I can understand with how I treated them over the years. Mom and Dad both worked and did the best that they could with the time and knowledge they had. Back then all people knew were the four food groups and to eat some from each. No one thought there was any difference between fresh and canned veggies.(Organic what??) My diet consisted of Dominos mushroom and pepperoni pizzas, McDonald's cheese burgers, donuts on the weekends, lots of ham and bologna and cheese sandwiches and Doritos. And milk. LOTS of milk. I would drink 5-6 glasses a day. Milk does the body good, right? (Apparently not.)Dad did cook dinner for us most nights, and we did get a bit of "the good stuff" - mostly out of a can and doused in ranch dressing or cheese. We just didn't know, you know? My intestines were growing angry...

Fat = SATAN

When I was in college, the "carbs good, fat very bad" diet was all the rage. Anyone else fall for this one? I must have purchased thousands of boxes of Snackwell's during that time never looking to see that they had replaced the fat with loads of sugar and preservatives. My diet was mostly potatoes, pasta, bread. Have you all ever done paper mache? What do you use as glue? Answer: flour and water. What was I eating most? Answer: flour. And considering our bodies are made up of 70% - 80% water... I ate glue during college, and my intestines were downright ticked.

Looking back, I can clearly see how my diet, couple with years of antibiotics, ravaged my digestive system. I am thankful for how long it lasted. Given the continual assault it endured, I need to be even more mindful that there is no such thing as a quick fix. I have tried them. I cannot reverse 30 years of damage in 30 days. But, what I can do is try to give my body the best nutrition possible and start the process, and that's where I am.

No comments: