Saturday, March 5, 2011

Hallucinating About Cheeseburgers

Wow, it has been such a long time since I blogged! Well, here I am over a year later looking for the same answers to the same health questions. I thought if I tried blogging about it, maybe it would make the process a bit easier, and maybe I can help someone along the way...

The Not-So-Enthusiastic Vegan

After much research, I recently found a natural, gut regeneration program that looked very promising. After reading a 200+ page book about the process, I decided that I need to commit to this program. One problem: veganism. Not to offend any vegans out there, but I am a protein eater. And by protein, I mean meat. A bowl of beans cannot come close to competing with a perfectly grilled ribeye (medium rare, oh yes). Don't get me started on cheeseburgers and the most divine baby back ribs to ever grace your lips made by my sweet husband. BUT, I am committed... so no meat. Not even a bite. All I can eat is mostly steamed veggies and whole grain porridge. God help me. :)

I had my first hallucination about cheeseburgers a couple days ago. Juicy, delicious 100% beef with a slab of perfectly aged cheddar on a fluffy, mouth-watering bun toasted to perfection with a slather of organic butter (hey, it makes me feel better!). It looked delectable; it smelled divine; it tasted... like barley porridge. Jolted out of my reverie by the utter blandness of my breakfast, I stared with more than a tinge of jealously at my children happily devouring their scrambled eggs and cinnamon toast.

So, this is my lot. And surprisingly, I am thankful.

There's a lot to be said about delayed gratification. There is a lot to be learned in the waiting, in the process of healing. God, in His incredible grace, is using these moments to teach me lessons way beyond food and health. It's about waiting, enduring for His best. And the moments of weakness are invaluable opportunities to trust Him more.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Oh, I CRACKED UP at this post!! Cheeseburger hallucinations... sounds exactly like what I'd suffer should I ever think I could go without meat. You are a stronger woman than I! LOL