Monday, March 14, 2011

Vita-Blessing / Vita-Curse

Oh, VitaMix!!! Why oh why can you make so many naughty pleasures!?!?

The temptation became too great for me this weekend. After getting yet another allergy test that stated that I have no allergies to dairy (PTL!!!), I couldn't resist making myself a coffee drink in the VitaMix. And oh, what a coffee drink it was!

The Experiment

I am not a straight coffee drinker, but chocolate with a hint of coffee? Well, that is another story. I decided that if I am going to cheat, I am going all the way. (I am an all-or-nothing type of girl!)I started out with some milk and Ghirardelli cocoa powder and blending that until frothy. Keith brewed up an extra strong pot of malibu blend coffee that has a hint of pralines and coconut. We added a couple shots to the mix, along with some fresh whipped cream (organic, of course). Add some ice cubes, blend on high, top with whipped cream...

Move over, Starkbucks!

Oh. My. Goodness. Smooth, chocolately creaminess with a hint of gourmet coffee. Amazing!!! MUCH better than a mocha frap at Starbucks. Keith and I tried to hide the divine concoction from the girls, but alas they made their way into the kitchen. Maybe it was the sound of the jet engine on our counter, you think?? We tried to slowly administer a tiny bit to Lily, as the child needs no help in the energy department.

We had tons of coffee left over, so I froze the rest into an ice cube tray for later. WAIT. LATER??? This is not good. NOT GOOD AT ALL.

"Everything is permissible but not everything is profitable."

Funny how the small things in life have deep and powerful lessons behind them. Just as I can use the VitaMix to make some amazing healthy meals to nourish my family, I can also use it to potentially harm my family's health by overloading them with ice cream and coffee drinks. Even delicious ones! A hammer can build up or tear down. Same for a VitaMix. It just goes to show that God uses all circumstances to cultivate the fruit of the Spirit in us. In our case, self-control. I pray that we use this marvelous tool to build up the health of our family more than tearing it down. Maybe the Lord will supernatually make broccoli smoothies taste like mocha fraps. Hey, this is JEHOVAH, you know. For all this, Lord, we are thankful. :)

No comments: