Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Live Up to What You Know

This phrase has really stuck with me. I heard it in a message by our pastor, in which he was telling us that as God's Word is revealed to us that we are responsible for the wisdom and knowledge that we have graciously been given. Wow, that is some responsibility. Thank goodness for the working of the Holy Spirit to help... "live up to what you know."

"Live up to what you know." (Around my house my 5-year-old knows it by a slightly different phrase: "Do what you know is right." Comes in handy quite often...) This phrase has wonderful implications in spiritual matters, but I believe it is an over-arching principle that can be applied to all areas of life, including how we take care of our bodies. Actually, for me, taking care of my body is a spiritual matter. God gave me this body to use to further His kingdom, and that takes a lot of energy! Well, how can I serve Him fully if I always feel run down? How can I care for the family He has given me if all I want to do is lay on the couch? God, in His infinte wisdom, has given us wonderful, healing foods to repair and fuel our bodies (you truly are what you eat). Unfortunately, there is a tremendous amount of food out there that threatens to rob us of our very health, and many times it is hard to discern what is truly good for you.

And I must admit, at times I have done a lousy job of caring for the body He has given me. Part of my motivation for starting this blog is to make me be accountable for my health, to "live up to what I know." I have read too much, done way too much research, pondered too many studies and seen too many changed lives to not be accountable for the knowledge that I have gained. I only have this one body and this one life, and I need to do my best to nurture and care for it. And so, my quest has begun.

And it is hard. I can't tell you how many times I have been made fun of and downright ridiculed. I have been the topic of many jokes. I say this not for sympathy but to demonstrate that it is tough when you make choices that are against the norm. It is really tough when you make them for your children. I really understand that it is odd today not eating at fast food restaurants and never drinking a Coke. It is kind of strange that I read every label on every food product before I buy them. Eating socially is so ingrained in our culture, and I fear we eat what we do for many of the wrong reasons. I know I have. But, I feel I must, I have an obligation to "live up to what I know."

Please hear my heart: I am not trying to make anyone feel guilty for what they eat or don't eat. That is your choice. And I am certainly by no means perfect (just ask my family... I have a real weakness for chocolate shakes...). I just want to see you well, see us all well and living in wonderful vitality. That is my passion. And we must give ourselves grace. We all slip up from time to time, but let's keep pressing on, to "live up to what we know!"

Bottom line: I want to see you living in extravagant health, fulfilling God's purpose in your life. Please let me know if I can be of any help to you, if this blog is of any help to you. Do any of you want to start a nutrition and fitness 90-day plan? I would love to hear from you!!! I know, it won't be easy, but it is and will definitely be worth it.

No comments: